Curly Hair Salon Wars: Ouidad vs. Devachan

Curly Hair Salon Wars: Ouidad vs. Devachan

Hey Guys!

I recently got a much needed haircut from Ouidad Salon in NYC. However, Nine months prior I received my 1st and very much needed haircut from their arch rival, Devachan Salon, in NYC (Soho). So which salon is better and what do they have to offer you ask? Let me break it down to the nitty gritty for you.

ouidad vs devachan, ouidad haircut review, devachan haircut reviewTechnique

The biggest difference between both salons would be in there technique. Devachan stylists cut curly hair DRY while Ouidad stylists mostly cut curly hair WET (during my session).

Devachan salon uses a method called “Deva-Cutting”. The salon’s stylists cut curly hair dry because they believe that since we wear our hair dry it should be cut in it’s natural state, dry. Devachan believes that “curly hair and it’s spring factor can be misinterpreted while wet”, therefore, making it easier to cut off too much hair or cut unevenly.

Ouidad salon uses a more complex method called “Carving & Slicing”. The salon’s stylists mainly cut hair wet but do at times cut curly hair dry (I observed during my session). Ouidad believes the Carving & Slicing method removes the “bulk” associated with the dreaded “pyramid” look (no layers, one length–picture your hair as a pyramid) while preserving and enhancing your natural curl pattern. Ouidad states “If you cut at the curvature of the curls, they will sit into each other, eliminating the pyramid. Another way is to lightly slice the outer layer of the hair around the face or crown area, to create movement. The slicing and carving, or puzzling of the curls, is strategically designed for specific areas, depending on the thickness and tightness of the curls.”This combination produces well-defined ringlets that fit gently into each other like puzzle pieces creating healthier, more manageable curls.

Styling

Devachan’s method of styling included the following: My stylist gently tilted my head over, in an upside down position, and squeezed the excess water out with their hands in an upward scrunching motion.  My stylist did not use any combs or brushes on my hair throughout the entire washing, cutting or styling process. After styling products were applied, my stylist used clips at the crown of my head and placed me under a hooded dryer. Afterwards, my stylist diffused my hair on a low heat setting (upside down) while continuing the same upward scrunching motion of my hair until dry.

Before DevaCut...little to no shape in hair, uneven lenghts left and right.

Before DevaCut…little to no shape in hair, uneven lengths left and right (originally attempted to trim myself, bad idea!).

Spa-like experience with DevaChan salon in Manhattan (Soho). Hooded dryers come to your chair versus you having to move around.

Spa-like experience with Devachan salon in Manhattan (Soho). Hooded dryers come to your chair versus you having to move around.

Devachan stylist diffusing my hair upside down after being placed under a hooded dryer.

After...curls were stretched with more volume. Length was now even.

After…curls were stretched with more volume. Length was now even.

4 months post Devacut. My coils/curls were much more bouncy than before my Devacut.

The following DevaCurl products were used: DevaCurl Low Poo CleanserDevaCurl Heaven in Hair deep conditioner, Deva Curl B-Leave In Conditioner and DevaCurl Light Defining Gel were added to lock and seal in moisture. No finishing product was applied.

Ouidad’s method of styling calls for the “Rake and Shake”. First my stylist had me sink lower into my chair (I’m 5’9..lol) and tilted my head backward over my chair. Next, they gently squeezed excess water out of my wet hair and blotted with a towel to pull out additional moisture. Afterwards, styling products were applied, I was placed under a hooded dryer (without any clips at the crown of my head). My hair was diffused on a low heat setting and a finishing pomade was applied for medium-firm hold.

Tip: Do not rub hair briskly or flip head over. Both methods fragment curls and cause frizz

Day before Ouidad cut.

Day before Ouidad cut.

Shrinkage is REAL. Day before Ouidad cut.

Shrinkage is REAL. Day before Ouidad cut.

Day of Ouidad cut. Before.

Day of Ouidad cut. Before.

Day of Ouidad cut. Before.

Day of Ouidad cut. Before.

Getting ready to tame this mane!

Getting ready to tame this mane!

I actually told my stylist I’m not afraid to cut my hair and I want somehing that will give me more volume and shape than I had at the time.

Fresh wash and cut by my Ouidad stylist.

Fresh wash and cut by my Ouidad stylist.

Here are my results right after my cut!

Much more volume up top. (Photobombed by my son..lol).

Much more volume up top. (Photobombed by my son..lol).

The shape is AMAZING!

The shape is AMAZING!

I loved how fluffy my hair was on day 2.

I loved how fluffy my hair was on day 2.

2nd day post Ouidad hair cut.

2nd day post Ouidad hair cut.

As second day post cut rolled around, I loved my cut even more. The angles my stylist gave me are amazing!

The following Ouidad products were used on my hair during my visit:  Curl Quencher Moisturizing Shampoo, Curl Quencher Moisturizing Conditioner, Whipped Curls Curl Quencher Moisturizing Styling Gel. As a finishing product, Clear Control Pomade.

Which Salon Do I Recommend?

I loved my experiences at both salons but I do lean towards one salon more than the other. I will say which salon I prefer shortly.

I would also say when choosing any curly hair/natural hair salon, you should take into consideration the following:

1) What type of look are you seeking? Are you seeking a safe shaping cut or are you seeking something a little edgy with shape and volume? If you are seeking something safe and shaped I would recommend Devachan. If you are looking for something that will give you a little more edge while providing shape and volume, Ouidad is where you want to go.

2) BUDGET, BUDGET, BUDGET!—These salons are NOT cheap ladies. Devachan has a cheaper starting point than Ouidad. However, be prepared to spend at minimum $80-$100, not including tip. Most salons base their prices according to individual hair type and length so the price will vary regardless. I served as an Ouidad Hair Model so my cut was free. Keep your eyes out for hair model searches with salons as they will provide you with free services and maybe even free products to sample!

3) Previous experience with salon’s products. Most salons use their own products, i.e Ouidad & Devachan. However, most natural hair salons will use certain products in which they have an agreement with the manufacturer/license to use. If you’ve already used a salon’s products and you’ve had a positive experience with those particular products you’re ahead of the game! If not you may want to try their products ahead of time as a trial run beforehand. You may even be able to contact the company for samples or purchase small travel size amounts of products in stores. Some salons may allow you to bring your own products. You may want to ask ahead of time before booking. One thing’s for sure, you want to research the products they may use in your hair beforehand. Only you know what products work best for your hair.

My Salon Pick

I pick Ouidad as my salon pick and fave! I loved the angles and the volume my hair has now. It’s much more edgy and my coils/curls have much more spring in their bounce! My tight curls also had a bit more stretch while retaining definition.

An Ouidad stylist best explained to me that each salon caters to a certain hair need. She advised me that she’s had no problem advising women stating “your hair would respond better to a Devacut” or “Your hair would benefit most from an Ouidad cut”.

Not every head of hair will respond to one salon over the other. It all comes down to what you are seeking and which salon’s cut your hair will suit your hair best.

I hope this helps you in searching for a curly/natural hair salon or stylist! Feel free to let me know which route you end up going or if you’ve had experiences with either of the salons mentioned.

Thanks for reading!

Let’s stay connected!

Instagram: @HealthyHairToToe

Twitter: @HealthyHair2Toe

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HealthyHairToToe

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/HealthyHairToToe1

Share:

27 Comments

1. September 20, 2014 / 4:05 pm

Stephy! Thank yo so much for this review. I have really been wondering which way to go. Your review told me exactly what I needed to know, because I really want a more edgy cut with fullness and movement (key words) and it looks like Ouidad is the way to go for me. I do need to try out their products though beforehand to see if they will work fo me. My hair is damaged from color in some areas and I am really looking to get it back healthy and have a great cut as well. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. I am so glad we met via Instagram. i can tell I am going to love this blog even more than I already do now! 🙂 Have a great weekend! xx

• October 19, 2014 / 7:55 pm

You’re so welcome love!!!! I’m glad I could help you and even more happy to have found you as well!! XOXO

2. Gina
    October 19, 2014 / 7:11 pm

Thanks for this site and your insight on both salons. I’ve Finally decided not to relax or Brazilian, thermal whatever relaxer I’ve used – again! I’m totally ready to embrace my curls that I was born with, and am now 2 weeks into this journey. My hair on scalp is coming in quite curly and the rest is transitioning. I’ve had one cut here in Seattle at a “Devaschon” trained salon and I’ve made another appt. with a Ouidad type salon here for color and a consultation. I wasn’t crazy about the “deva” cut outside the fact that it does make sense to cut curly hair dry, because of the spring factor. But I’m willing to try the Ouidad cut next. All I know is your hair is Amazing, and I love your honesty on Both styles of cutting. Thank you!

• October 19, 2014 / 7:26 pm

I’m so glad I could help you Gina!! Thank you for reading and for your kind words, all the best!!❤️❤️

3. shaina
    March 7, 2015 / 10:56 pm

Thanks for the information!! It was all great and I look forward to trying out the ouidad salon. We met today at the NYC hair affair which is how I found your blog. After seeing the photos I am sold! I also look forward to exploring your blog to see what other kind of valuable information I can get.

Once again, Thank You for taking the time to talk to me today 🙂

• March 8, 2015 / 1:47 pm

I’m so glad this helped you hun! Anytime, can’t wait to see your results!❤️❤️❤️

4. April 20, 2015 / 5:51 pm

Beautiful hair! I’m glad you wrote this article. I am going to be a hair model at Ouidad in a week and wondered what to expect. I have been a customer at Devachan and loved the experience so after reading your article’s comparison, I am eager to attend my meeting.

Question: Do you ever wear your hair straightened? If so, how does the haircut translate from Ouidad? Is your haircut now “rounded”?

• April 20, 2015 / 11:09 pm

Hey love! Thank you so much ☺️. Yes, I have straightened it since cutting it–my hair actually grew out pretty awesome and healthy…I was shocked! I had cut it so short at first so I didn’t straighten it until about 4-5 months later. I have a YouTube vid detailing my straightening results post cut on my channel “Cebelamour85”. I hope that helps! Good Luck❤️❤️

5. Theresa
    May 26, 2015 / 11:21 am

Thank you for sharing!! Your hair looks AMAZING.

I have a noob (lol) question: how is the hooded dryer at both places? Last time I sat under a hooded dryer at another salon (from which I did get a good haircut), it was blasting air down and it ended up straightening out my waves/curls. Are the ones there gentler? Or would they be okay with it if I ask them to diffuse my hair only?

I’ve only been to one curly hair salon (the one mentioned) so I’m totally new to this! I used to just go to cheap salons that cut and blow dry your hair straight and I would just hope my curls would come out okay after. Didn’t work out too well. 😉

• May 26, 2015 / 11:16 pm

Hi Theresa! Thank you so much for your feedback and kind words ❤️. I prefer hooded dryers for deep conditioning treatments only. If I end up drying my curls with heat I will definitely use a diffuser but very sparingly. With that being said—-Ouidad did not use a hooded dryer on my hair but they did use on other girls that were there will different types of curls/kinks/coils. I’m almost certain that they would not be opposed to your request—just ask. It’s your hair so I’m pretty sure they are willing to comply especially with how much you’d be paying them!..lol. As far as Devachan I believe they use the hooded dryer as part of their routine. So you’d probably have to ask them as well. I would suggest calling both salons ahead of time for sure! I have the same exact problem when I use hooded dryers with my hair wet after styling which is why I prefer the diffuser. I hope this helps love!

• Theresa
        May 27, 2015 / 12:47 am

This does help!! Thank you! And thanks for taking the time to respond as well! 🙂

6. Benicia
    June 1, 2015 / 6:18 pm

Very glad to have found this article. I scheduled a Devacut about a month or two ago and the first appointment had to get rescheduled (by the stylist) and the second one by me due to unforeseen circumstances. Now I know for sure they weren’t coincidences. I finally scheduled my Ouidad cut last week and am feeling much more relieved that I opted to go with them after reading your post. Hoping I have as great a result as you did. Thank you!

• June 1, 2015 / 11:45 pm

I’m glad my piece has helped you! Thank you so much for your feedback. You should document your experience from cut to post cut. I wish you all the best love!❤️❤️❤️

7. April
    July 8, 2015 / 2:28 pm

Hi, thank yoy for this review. Who were your stylists at each salon?

8. Stella
    August 4, 2015 / 6:08 am

Dose the ouidad cut thin hair or take off any length

• August 4, 2015 / 9:41 am

Hi Stella! Thanks for reading! Ouidad works with all hair types. When I was there I saw women with long, short, thick, thin hair of all textures.

9. Bev
    August 5, 2015 / 1:52 am

I have been trying to decide which cut to have. I was a little concerned about the ouidad cut because my hair is fine and I do not want to loose volume, but I do prefer their products. The “carve and slice technique sounds a little frightening.

• August 9, 2015 / 8:54 pm

Hey Bev! I saw other women having their fine hair cut by Ouidad stylists and they had much more volume afterwards. I have medium fine hair and I had way more volume after my cut as well. I didn’t have that volume when my hair was cut by Devachan. You have to go with what’s best for you though. Trust your gut and go from there love.

10. Rachael
    November 7, 2015 / 2:53 am

Hi Celebamour, who was your stylist at Ouidad?

• November 11, 2015 / 11:21 am

I had a stylist that was visiting from out of state for a teaching session at the salon. Unfortunate she wasn’t based in NY. I’d honestly recommend anyone from Ouidad. The entire staff is hands on with their clients and they are also heavily supervised.

11. January 14, 2016 / 10:00 pm

Great review! Still not sure which one I want to get though because both were gorgeous! Now I have to see what’s available in my area.

• Healthy Hair To Toe
      January 14, 2016 / 10:07 pm

Thanks love! Definitely think about the look you want and see what’s available in your area. I’m excited to see how everything pans out for you!❤️❤️❤️

12. Debbie
    May 14, 2016 / 2:13 am

NEVER get an Ouidad cut if you have fine hair as it removes any volume it has. My stylist did it on my hair and it now looks stringy. Have never been so embarrassed of my hair!!! Am looking for someone who knows how to cut my type of hair.

• Healthy Hair To Toe
      May 14, 2016 / 2:16 am

Sorry you had a bad experience with your stylist. I have fine naturally curly hair and did not have the same experience. I actually had much more volume after my cut. It truly all depends on your stylist and the health of your hair at the time of your cut. Everyone has different outcomes. I wish you the best in finding a stylist that works for you. Thanks for reading!

13. Melissa
    December 28, 2016 / 1:57 pm

Your hair is absolutely stunning!! I know with Devacuts they say to wear your hair out with no manipulation. Is it the same for Ouidad? Do you mind sharing who your stylist at Ouidad is? You can email me if you like at aframations@gmail.com

• Healthy Hair To Toe
      January 1, 2017 / 5:02 pm

Hey love! Thank you so much 🙂 I don’t remember the name of my stylist because she was at the NY location for training. I do know she was based in Florida at the time. As far as cuts, Ouidad does require your hair out and product free similar to Devachan. I hope this helps & thanks for reading! <3